7.10.2012

Happy Five Years to me

So today officially marks my 5 years as a Korean pop fan and the feelings that I have right now are too overwhelming. It was a good day when I found out about the wonderful and chaotic world of Kpop and I was 10 and so young and so naive but the music and the people made me happy and all felt right in the world. I know life would’ve been very different and I wouldn’t be the same person that I am at the moment and it’s almost scary to think about; a life and a Chryss without her current happy pills.

The Korean music industry has served as much of a therapy as it is a source of entertainment to me. Through ups and downs and struggles and family problems and other kinds of emotional bullshit, Kpop has kept me grounded and is one of the main reasons why I’m kind of happy and living and breathing right now. At the risk of sounding cheesy, but my love for Korean music and the culture itself runs deeper than anything else outside the boundaries of family and friendship (because family and friends will always be #1). I need it to breathe and I need it to live.

Even though SHINee is my bias group right now, Super Junior was (is?) my first love and my first bias, the infamous Heechul (Happy Birthday to that punk by the way). It all started when my sister came home from a party thrown in Heechul’s honor by one of her fellow fangirl friends and she made me sit through 5 music videos all featuring the same Korean boys with all too-similar faces. I remember really liking Dancing Out and I had my eye on the guy with the shoulder-length wavy hair who sings the first lines of the song and up to now, I am still in love with the video and the guy with the milky white skin who’s too pretty for his own good.

Even though I’m not as much of a fan of theirs anymore, Super Junior still has a very special place in my heart and even though things change and people change and feelings change, my love for them (and Kpop in general) is still strong through the years and I hope this insatiable loving will never be filled because it is all sorts of wonderful and it has taken me to places and made me feel things I never would’ve imagined.

Indeed, Happy Five Years to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment